If you’re looking to freshen up your boring salads then this is the recipe for you!
Making the most of the fresh fruits and vegetables available over the summer, this watermelon and kale salad is a great way to lighten up your meals. Make it as a side dish at your next BBQ or devour it with a glass of wine after a long summers day.
Want to bulk it up? If you’ve got some leftover chicken, shred it up and add it to the salad.
Watermelon, Kale, Spinach & Haloumi Salad
- 500 grams watermelon
- 1 packet baby kale
- 1 packet LeaderBrand baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion finely sliced
- 1 handful mint plus extra to serve
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 200 grams haloumi sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Fry sliced haloumi in a pan with the oil until golden on both sides
- To make the dressing, place the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake until combined. Cut watermelon into chunks and remove any seeds
- Arrange spinach and kale leaves on a serving platter, top with haloumi, red onion, mint, cucumber, watermelon and the seeds from the pomegranate
- Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to combine. Garnish with extra mint. Serve immediately
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.