I don’t know about you, but when I’m tired or short on time the first thing that goes is a good lunch. Meal prep feels like one of those things only really organised people can master, but if you steal an hour out of your Sunday afternoon, you can actually simplify your life by whipping up some quick and delish recipes.
Check out some of these easy recipes and let us know your favourite meal prep combo.
Tips for meal prepping
There are a million different ways to meal prep, but what I like to do is organise Monday – Wednesday and sort out the rest of the week when I get closer – leftovers anyone?
- Grab yourself some sturdy medium or large reusable containers and a few smaller ones for snacks
- Bento boxes or similar containers with compartments will make your life easier and you can then mix different types of foods
- Use what you have. I can’t always afford to buy extra bits and pieces in my groceries so I’ll just use the veggies and snacks I do have on hand
- Make a bigger portion of your dinner in the middle of the week to use as leftovers for the end of the work week
Having the inspiration to start meal prepping is half the battle, so to get you started, I’ve canvased the Her World office and pulled together a few of our go-to snacks and lunch ideas. The majority of these use ingredients lying around the kitchen and take less than 30-minutes to pull together.
Even if you’re not a normal snacker, it’s always good to have something small in arms reach in case that afternoon slump hits you. Here are a few simple and healthy snack ideas that take up no space in your bag.
- Carrot and celery sticks with hummus dip
- Yoghurt with blueberries
- Almonds and cranberries
- Apple slices and almond butter
- Rice cake with peanut butter
- Bliss balls
The main event. Breaking up your day with a good lunch break is important not only for your health but for your mood. These very easy combos don’t need recipes and are a great place to start if you’re lacking inspiration.
- Fruit and veggie box with hummus and avocado dip + a snack
- Grilled chicken salad with roast kumara on the side + a snack
- Chicken, chickpea and salad wraps with hummus + a snack
- Bacon & veggie egg cups with a small salad + a snack
There are so many recipes out there that are great for meal prepping so to help you get started, here are a few that have made their way around our office over the last few months.
Written by Monique Renee
Usually barefoot and deep in wanderlust mode, Mon loves binging Netflix, cuddling babies and stalking through Instagram looking for boho decor inspo and hotties with man buns. You’ll usually find her on holiday, planning a holiday or thinking about holidays.
Favourite Instagram to follow: @the_female_lead