Get your 5-a-day with this delicious Mexican pasta dish! Rich in fibre and iron with a kick of mild spice.
Mexican Penne with Avocado
- 100 grams Wholemeal Penne
- 1 tsp Rapeseed Oil
- 1 Onion Sliced + 1 tbsp Finely Chopped
- 1 Red Capsicum Sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Grated
- 2 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin Sweetcorn in Water
- 1 tsp Vegetable Bouillon Powder
- 1 Avocado Sliced + Deseeded
- 1/2 Lime Zest + Juice
- Fresh Coriander for Garnish
- Cook the pasta in salted water for 10-12 mins until al dente. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the sliced onion and pepper and fry, stirring frequently for 10 mins until golden. Stir in the garlic and spices, then tip in the tomatoes, half a can of water, the corn and bouillon. Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, toss the avocado with the lime juice and zest, and the finely chopped onion.
- Drain the penne and toss into the sauce with the coriander. Spoon the pasta into bowls, top with the avocado and scatter over the coriander leaves.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.