New York can be overwhelming as the atmosphere is always loud, bustling and quickly moving. If you have never experienced it before it can leave your head spinning with no shortage of things to see and places to go.
Tourist traps are abundant here and it would be impossible to avoid them all and to be honest some of them are just worth the trap depending on your taste and how many times you have been to this great city.
There are many ways to move about the city, cabs are abundant but I would offer caution and say opt for one of the following options.
- Walk – Wear your walking shoes and instead of spending extra money on a cab or other rides offers; use the Subway to get you in the general area of where you want to be. Plan your day so you can use your legs and save your wallet.
- Subway – Buy a Metro card and depending on how long you plan to stay, way out the pros and cons of pay per ride verses metro card options.
All things listed below are only a small sample of what lies within the deep layers of the Big Apple, from the well known and mainstream to the local secrets and hidden gems around the Burroughs.
Tourist Traps You Can Avoid
- Central Park – Beautiful and a staple in taking in all that is New York however crowds can sometimes be a problem and if you prefer beauty without the beast head over to Prospect Park in Brooklyn.
- Statue of Liberty – If you are not keen at having to see this beauty up close and personal but still want great photo opportunities I would suggest using the Staten Island Ferry which is completely free.
- Little Italy – Authentic Italian food can be found around NYC. Little Italy can be expensive and crowded so head over to the Bronx for a bit of Italy and you won’t be disappointed.
- Empire State Building – NYC skyline can be seen from lots of areas around the city so instead of shelling out money to visit the top of this building try spots within Long Island and even Brooklyn.
- Rockefeller Center – As loving as this and has been seen countless times in media the price and crowds will make you think otherwise. There are lots of free options for skating around the city during the winter.
Tourist Traps You Can Avoid But May Not Want To
Tourist Trap Or Not, It’s Worth It
- Junior’s Cheesecake – cheesecakes, desserts
- MilkFlower – wood fired pizzas, wine, craft beer, small Italian plates
- Gray’s Papaya – hot dogs, fruit drinks
- Shake Shack – hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, milkshakes, custards
- Snowdays – shaved cream, desserts
New York is a one of a kind city and is meant to be explored; you would be doing yourself a disservice if you were to ignore the other surrounding Burroughs as many offer spectacular views, amazing food and quick commutes to midtown.
What should not be missed in New York City?
Written by Ash H
With an Instagram feed that makes us jealous, Ash is a foodie, traveller and photographer extraordinaire. A lover of movies and all things LGBTQ related (YES!), you’ll most likely find Ash exploring somewhere new.