Try this roast chicken with a delicious Asian twist! The chicken is poached in soy sauce and spices then roasted with a sticky, sweet and savoury honey oyster sauce glaze. Serve with fragrant coriander rice and steamed greens.
Sticky Asian Roast Chicken
- 1 free range whole chicken
To poach the chicken
- 2 cups Lee Kum Kee soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 2 whole star anise
- 1.5 litre water
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp Manuka honey
- 1 pack Pak Choy
- 500 gram cooked white long grain rice
- 1 handful coriander roughly chopped
- In a large pot ( large enough to poach the whole chicken), mix soy sauce and water. Add garlic, ginger and star anise then bring to boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stand chicken in liquid for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and put on a roasting tray.
- Preheat oven to 160 ⁰C. Mix honey and oyster sauce in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- Brush the chicken with the glazing evenly. Put in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden and cooked through. Blush with more glaze every 10-15 minutes during the cooking.
- While the chicken is in the oven, heat the rice according to the packet instructions and steam the pak choy.
- Garnish chicken with coriander and serve hot with rice and steamed pak choy.
This recipe was provided by Lee Kum Kee
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.