Give your burger a makeover with this vegetarian take on your classic burger patties.
Using quinoa and brown rice as a base, this flavour-packed pattie is a great for anyone who is already vegetarian or looking to start on their meat-free Monday journey. Pair it with your favourite type of bun, sauces, toppings and some avo.
Top tip: you can freeze these or whip them up 2 days before you’re ready to eat, great for upcoming BBQs.
Quinoa and Brown Rice Veggie Pattie
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1/2 cup baby spinach finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red capsicum finely chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt plain
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir very well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a plate or baking tray with baking paper.
- Make a palm size patty with your hand and put on the baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining mixture - t should make about 5-6 patties.
- Heat oil or butter in a large frying pan - medium heat.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden one each side.
- Serve with your favourite burger buns, toppings and sauces.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.