Looking for a perfect cozy meal? Well stop right there! Because this Pumpkin and Spinach Risotto is the perfect pick me up home cooked dinner!
Baked Pumpkin and Spinach Risotto
- 500 grams Butternut Pumpkin Chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 375 ml Carton Chicken Stock
- Large Brown Onion Coarsely Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 cups Aborio Rice
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- 500 grams Chopped Spinach
- 1/2 cup Pine Nuts Toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1/2 cup Cream
- Preheat the oven to hot (220°C). Combine the pumpkin with half the oil in a baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a hot oven for about 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, combine the stock and water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan; cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft. Add rice; stir to coat in oil mixture. Add the wine, stir until almost evaporated.
- Stir in one cup (250ml) of the hot stock mixture; cook, stirring, over low heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock mixture, in one-cup batches, stirring until liquid is absorbed after each addition. Total cooking time should be about 25 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Add spinach, pine nuts, cheese, cream and salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted. Gently stir in pumpkin.
- Serve topped with extra parmesan cheese flakes.
Tip: Pumpkin can be roasted several hours ahead. The risotto is best made just before serving.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.