No salad has screamed summer more than this one!
This grilled avocado salad looks beautiful on a platter and is the perfect addition to any BBQ table or as a light and healthy dinner on a summer’s night. Pair with a glass of wine and prepare to feast on this salad that has a hint of something a little different.
Grilled Avocado and Kale Chopped Salad
Citrus pickled onions
- 1/3 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice squeezed
- 1 pinch course sea salt
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Tajin chile & lime seasoning available online
- 1 tsp flaky or course sea salt
- 3 avocados halved & pit removed
- olive oil
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 pinch course sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Everything needed for the salad
- 2 bags Taylor Farms Kale Chopped Salad Kit remove croutons if GF
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 batch citrus pickled onions
- 1 batch chile-lime walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut bacon
- 6 grilled avocados halved
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
Prep the citrus pickled onions
- Place the sliced onions in a shallow bowl, pour the lime over the onions and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir well then let marinate for at least 20 minutes then drain the liquid.
Roast the walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the walnuts onto the prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil, Tajin and sea salt. Roast in the oven 5-8 minutes stirring once.
Grill the avocados
- Lightly oil a grill pan and place it over medium heat.
- Brush the avocado halves lightly with olive oil and drizzle with the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Place the avocados flesh side down on the preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes, or until they have nice dark grill marks. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Assembling the salad
- Arrange the Taylor Farms Kale Chopped Salad greens on a large platter. Sprinkle the cheese packets, tomato halves, pickled onions, chile lime walnuts and coconut bacon over the top.
- Nestle the avocado halves into the salad and place the lemon wedges around the outside of the platter.
- Serve immediately with the lemon vinaigrette from the salad kit.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.