Do you love the classic BLT Sandwich? Have a go at this hearty bean salad that hits all the right spots!
The homemade herb-mayo dressing adds freshness while the crisp bacon and croutons add a welcomed crunch. It’s a great way to use up those pantry beans in a summery salad you’ll want to enjoy all year round.
BLT Bean Salad
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1/4 cup Fresh Dill
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Plain Yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 can Cannellini Beans
- 1 heart Romaine Lettuce cut to bite size pieces
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread cut to crouton size
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Toss the bread, olive oil, a pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper on a rimmed baking sheet until combined, then spread into an even layer. Bake until the croutons are golden brown and well toasted, tossing halfway through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the bacon to a medium skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and well browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon to drain.
- For the dressing, puree the basil, parsley, dill, mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper in a food processor until the herbs are finely chopped and dressing is bright green. Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper.
- To assemble, add the beans, romaine, tomatoes, half the croutons and half the bacon to a large bowl. Add half of the herb-mayo dressing, then toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter, top with the remaining croutons and bacon and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.