Sometimes you just need a Winter-friendly dinner that spices up mealtime and can be whipped together quickly after a long day.
Ready in under 20 minutes, this spicy rice bowl largely uses ingredients found in your kitchen and makes enough for lunch leftovers the next day.
Spicy Ground Beef Rice Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups rice white or brown
- 500 grams mince
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin chilli beans
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 large red capsicum chopped
- 1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mexican spice mix
- Cook rice using your preferred method.
- In a small frying pan, heat oil and add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add mince, salt and pepper and cook mince.
- When mince is half way cooked through, add vegetables.
- After 5 minutes, add in kidney beans, chilli beans, tinned tomatoes and mexican spice mix. Mix together.
- Cook through until vegetables are at desired softness.
- In a bowl, serve up rice and top with mince mixture.
- Serve hot.
- If you can't find a mexican spice mix, you can use a taco seasoning.
- If the spice is too much, add a little sour cream or plain greek yoghurt to the bowl when serving.
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.