Oats are the perfect breakfast. But having the same thing everyday an make it a little boring. Mix up your morning oats with these chocolate oats!
Sweet and chocolatey but you can do so much with them as well. Give in to that sweet tooth today!
- 200 grams Blanched Hazelnuts
- 200 grams Medjool Dates
- 400 grams Porridge Oats
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Good Quality Cocoa Powder heaped
- 1 Orange
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry pan on a medium heat until golden, tossing often, then tip into a food processor.
- Tear the stones out of the dates and add the flesh to the processor with half the oats, the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
- Finely grate in the orange zest and pulse until fine, then stir the mixture back through the rest of the oats. Pour into an airtight jar, ready to use.
- When you want a portion, simply put 65g of the mixture into a saucepan with 200ml of coconut water and heat gently over a medium-low heat for 3 minutes, or until it’s the consistency that you like, stirring regularly and adding splashes of water to loosen, if needed.
- Serve each portion with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and 80g of fresh fruit. It’s also nice finished with a pinch of cinnamon or a dusting of cocoa, if you like. And remember, if you up the number of portions you’re cooking at one time, simply adjust the cooking time accordingly. Chocolate porridge – how cool is that!
Written by Billie Turei
An environmental goddess who loves to spend her weekends drinking wine and perfecting her Master Chef skills, this little foodie can callback any 90’s hip-hop jam and obscure pop-culture references. You’ll usually find Billie eating Thai food and heading off for impromptu road-trips with her squad.
Favourite food to cure a hangover: Hash browns. All of them.