We’ve just come back from four amazing days in the Gold Coast where we stayed at The Ruby Collection, the newest addition to the Surfers Paradise accommodation game…it’s a whole vibe and needs to be at the top of your list of places to stay next time you’re in the GC.
So, what is The Ruby Collection? A 30-level tower that oozes luxury, the Ruby features one, two and three-bedroom apartments, villas and sky suites. The stylised resort sets itself apart from other self-contained apartments with their 24-hour arrival experience, personalised service, 5-star amenities and modern look. It’s the kind of place you dream about staying at when you’re on holiday and the best part, it’s more affordable than most of the other hotels in the area.
We jumped on a Virgin Australia flight from Auckland just after they announced their all-inclusive packages and we have to say, it was a pretty awesome experience.
The flight itself is only about 3-3.5 hours long so you can easily binge watch a few episodes of your fave show to make the time fly. The food is amazing (we devoured a tender roast pork meal and some coconut ice cream), the service is great and for economy, the seats and the leg room were definitely above average.
We decided last minute to hire a car at the aiport where the lovely Jade at Hertz was more than helpful in securing us a sleek Toyota C-HR that took us from mall-to-mall and theme park-to-theme park with barely half a tank of gas used when we returned it on day 5. We loved this little SUV and highly recommend taking it for a test drive.
One of the best parts about The Ruby Collection is its location. Just outside the heart of Surfers Paradise, the Ruby is close to all the things you head to the GC for:
- About a 25-30 minute drive from the airport
- 15 minute walk into the hub of Surfers Paradise
- The main beach is two streets away and you can walk there in about 5 minutes
- 25 minute drive out to the theme parks
- 15 minute drive to Pacific Fair
- 20 minute drive to Harbour Town
- Bus stop is very close and the tram is one street away
We’re not exactly sure when we reached the age where an apartment and furniture could make us so excited, but all we know is we’re definitely in that space now and we’re not even mad about it.
We stayed in a two bedroom room with an ocean view and it was AMAZING!
The apartments are very spacious with minimalist styling that had us wanting to buy a house and call up their interior decorator. The kitchen is equipped with a full sized fridge that perfectly housed our snacks and wine, an oven along with all the cooking utensils you need so you can whip together a home-cooked meal and most importantly, an array of teas and coffees for your morning wake-up.
Oh, and did we mention the balcony that overlooked the beach? On one side, we had a perfect view of Surfers and on the other, we could see all the waterfront mansions and the canals. Yeah, it’s basically the best.
We highly recommend trying to get yourself an ocean view apartment so you can really take in the stunning views and sip your cocktails and eat your cheese platters in style.
Insider tip: The 3-bedroom apartments are specifically for families and include a room with a bunk bed. If that is your jam then by all means, go right ahead however we would recommend splurging a little and having everyone put in for a villa if you need the extra room.
We’d suggest checking out the website to stay up to date with what they have in terms of facilities but what we experienced and loved were:
- Secure car parking
- Daily room cleaning
- Free Wi-Fi
- Amazing pool for lounging around
- Gym with yoga mats, treadmills, bikes, sauna and more
- The apartments have full kitchens so you can cook your own dinners when you don’t feel like going out
- Each apartment is also equipped with a washer/dryer so you can easily wash your beach gear after taking a surf lesson
We experienced the most amazing customer service while staying at the Ruby. Everyone who works there is extremely helpful, friendly and genuinely interested in how you’re making the most of your holiday.
- Special shout out to Harley the Senior Ruby Ambassdor, Oke who works at the Terrace Café and Francie & Olivia who are part of the Stone Bar & Grill restaurant wait staff.
- Harley helped get us checked in, told us a bit about the Ruby, gave us some options of what to do in the local area and made us feel like a VIP
- Chef Phil (breakfast) and Chef David (dinner) are the Best. Damn. Chefs. Ever. Seriously, order everything on the menu.
- Great wine and cocktail list – try ALL of the twists on the cocktails, but namely the strawberry or passionfruit mojito and the ink gin. Yum!
- Delicious lunch menu for light twists at the Terrace Café on burgers, pizzas, wedges, steak sandwiches and more. There is also some fab cabinet food such as filos, wraps, quiches and much, much more.
- 5 star quality dinners at the Stone Bar and Grill including some of the best steaks we’ve ever eaten. Queue the drooling.
- The continental breakfast is a great add on where there is limitless amounts of juice, cereal, fresh fruit, chia pudding, bagels, toast and tea.
- Do yourself a favour and splurge a little on your breakfast. Our faves were the sides of bacon, mushrooms, hash browns and scrambled eggs along with the Belgian waffles and buttermilk pancakes.
It’s on the #HWLitList
I’ll be honest with you, if I could’ve figured out a way to live there permanently, I never would’ve checked out of the Ruby.
A stunning building with lovely apartments and equally lovely staff, this resort-style accomodation is a fantastic place to stay if you’re wanting a little extra luxury in your life.
Perfect for a getaway with the girls, a romantic weekend away, family holiday or a ‘treat yo self’ solo trip, trust us when we say you won’t regret jumping the ditch and relaxing at the Ruby.
Written by Monique Renee
Usually barefoot and deep in wanderlust mode, Mon loves binging Netflix, cuddling babies and stalking through Instagram looking for boho decor inspo and hotties with man buns. You’ll usually find her on holiday, planning a holiday or thinking about holidays.
Favourite Instagram to follow: @hotdudesreading