So you’ve just some fresh ink! Firstly congrats I’m sure it looks beautiful. But now you’re thinking about how to care for the fresh wound.
How you take care of your tattoo during the healing process can have a large impact on the longevity and look of the tattoo in the future. We thought we could give you some tips, tricks and aftercare ideas that will help make sure your ink stays in tact.
The biggest trick to keeping a fresh tattoo perfect is to keep it hydrated and protected. Scarring can occur if you don’t care for you wound, which will leave you with scabs and uneven tones. By using an ointment or tattoo friendly moisturiser till the tattoo is fully healed will stop this from happening.
Chances are you may already have some of these balms in your cabinet but these are the most recommended ointments from professional artists.
- CeraVe Healing Ointment
The do’s and don’ts of tattoo aftercare
- wash your tattoo daily
- keep it moisturised at all times ( for at least the first 7 days )
- keep it out of direct sunlight
- Once your tattoo is fully healed always apply sunscreen when it is exposed ( sunlight can fade your tattoo )
- Go back to the studio for any touch-ups
- Wear tight clothing over your fresh tattoo
- Go swimming ( showers are fine )
- Pick at any scabbing on your tattoo ( it is healing )
- Cover your tattoo in sunscreen until its fully healed
Written by Sophia Ivory
Curly hair and she don’t care, this stylish babe plays by her own rules. With a love for dance and all things body positive, you’ll usually find her searching out the latest fashion trends and digging through local thrift stores. Word of warning, don’t bring your dachshund around her, she’ll want to keep it.
Check out her Instagram for all things goals! @sophiaivory