- 1 cups dates
- ½ cup dried blueberries, or other dried fruit like sultanas, currants or raisins
- 1 pack of LeaderBrand Pure’n Ezy beetroot
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp liquid honey
- 2 cups (190g) rolled oats
- ½ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 70g flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut up the dates into small pieces and remove stones. Place in a bowl with dried blueberries. Blend beetroot, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and one cup of water in a food processor and pulse to make a smooth paste.
- Pour the beetroot paste over the dates and blueberries and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 120°C. Mix oats, seeds, almonds in a baking tray and dry roast them for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the toasted oat mix with the beetroot and date mix. Add the egg and combine well.
- Increase the heat of the oven to 160°C. Grease a 20 x 30cm slice tin with a little spray oil and line with baking paper. Spread the mixture and press it down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes until it is golden brown. Cool in tin before slicing.