Anyone who doesn’t have a green thumb may think that growing a cactus is their best bet at a greener home, but did you know that without proper care a cactus may suffer a premature death? We’re here to make sure your cacti live a long and happy life with these easy tips.
- If your cactus isn’t already planted, make sure you use cactus-specific soil. Cacti require quick draining soil and shouldn’t be left to sit in wet soil for prolonged periods of time. Add some rocks or pebbles to the pot for improved drainage.
- Place your cactus in a sunny location as they generally need a few hours of sunlight each day. If your cactus starts to look yellowed or like it is slowly being bleached, it may be receiving too much sun.
- While it is growing, water your cactus once a week if the soil feels dry – leave for a few days before watering if it feels damp still.
- Place your cactus in an area that has a large supply of fresh air to help it thrive.
- Re-pot your cactus once a year to give it more room to grow.