Upcycling mason jars has been a trend for a few years now, and knowing how to use them to their full advantage is a great way to create some cute DIY décor or personalise a gift. If you’re drowning in jars, check out five of our favourite projects.
Not many things create a calming atmosphere like a scented candle, but did you know that you can create your own pretty easily? All you need are the right tools and you’ll be able to mix up an array of delicious smelling candles for your home or as gifts. Some of our favourite scents:
Desk terrariums are a great way to liven up your work space or your home and the best part is, you don’t even need a green thumb to keep them alive. There are a lot of different ways to create your own mini garden but here is one that we love.
These also make great gifts so if you are overflowing with mason jars, whip up a few for your friends and family too.
Fairy light lamp
Perfect for a backyard, wedding or as a gift for a tween in your life, these fairy light jars can be made for under $10 and take a few minutes to put together.
- Mason jar
- 1m or less solar fairy lights – white or colourful
- Charge solar lights in the sun for 24 hours
- Place lights into the jar
- Wrap excess wire around the rim of the jar
Mason jars are an inexpensive way to display a beautiful bouquet of flowers. If a plain mason jar just isn’t going to cut it on your table, here are a couple of quick ways you can stylise your jars with spray paint.
- Spray paint them with matte colours to suit any home decor
- Wrap rubber bands around around the jar in a pattern. Spray paint the jar in a bold colour and remove the bands once dry
- After spray painting, use some sand paper and lightly sand the paint for a distressed look
A cute way to update your light fixtures for cheap is to replace the shades with mason jars. We love this quick and easy upcycle from Rachel Ray.