Cosmetic surgery is on the rise around the world, with certain countries even becoming plastic surgery holiday destinations. Some people will go to any extreme to improve their appearance, but there are simple, cheap and painless ways to tone up and flatter your body – without going under the knife!
We get that looking good on the outside can help you feel better on the inside, but before you resort to a painful nip and tuck, try a simple snip and pluck, and you could find yourself feeling a million bucks (without spending the same).
10 simple, inexpensive and relatively painless ways you can improve your body without going under the knife:
- Take five minutes before your morning shower to do two or three sets of 15 abdominal crunches (knees bent). If you do them every second day, you’ll noticeably tighten up your midsection and improve your overall mobility – and your posture too.
- Every little step counts – literally. Taking the stairs instead of the lift will strengthen all the major muscle groups in your lower body extremity. Hamstrings, glutes, quads and calves are all going to reap that benefit. As a bonus, you’ll also burn more kilojoules too.
- Using body-shaping underwear to instantly ‘lose weight’ can give you the boost you need while you work on your body. They’re an inexpensive and simple way to instantly flatten your stomach, reduce thigh size, create a waist shape and to smooth and lift your butt – no plastic surgery needed! They won’t fix everything underneath, but you’ll feel wonderful with your new shape, and it may give you the motivation to start hitting the gym, so you will be able to ditch the shape-wear before long.
- Do lunges before bed. Start with wall slides – stand with your back against the wall and your feet 30cm in front of you, then slide down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground, and then come back up. Do two sets of 15. Finish with lunges – start by taking a giant step forward with one leg, then lower into lunge position until the knee on your opposite leg almost touches the ground. Push through the front heel to raise back up. Do two sets of 15 with one leg, then two sets with the opposite leg. Both exercises will help tone and firm your major lower-body muscle groups, such as glutes, quads and hamstrings.
- Try yoga for a gentle exercise to improve your body. The ancient art of yoga burns kilojoules while toning and improving your overall flexibility and posture. The benefits of yoga are cumulative. It’s just a matter of time before you will improve flexibility, strength, concentration, willpower and determination – plus tone your body!
- Throw on some high heels. They don’t have to be ankle breaking 7 inch stilettos! Just a small comfortable heel will make you walk talker. Best of all, they elongate the legs making them look longer and leaner. They’ll also help pants sit nicely below the ankle. Your hemline should be an inch off the ground with your heels on.
- Drink plenty of water. At the very least you should consume six glasses of water every day. Dehydration can cause fatigue, headaches, constipation and tooth decay. Being well hydrated could contribute to better looking and clearer skin.
- Always wear flattering fashion pieces like flat-fronted trousers. Pleats and pockets are a no-no for so many reasons, so put them in your next charity shop drop-off. Besides being a hopelessly unstylish relic of the ’80s, pleats create unnecessary puffiness around your mid-section and pockets make your thighs look wider.
- Get a new hairstyle. What better way to focus attention away from your figure and toward your bright smile than with a funky hairstyle? Talk to a stylist about cuts and styles that complement your face. There are also online makeover sites that will let you upload your photo and try on new dos. Or – follow these tips for great hair from home.
- Get a spray tan. It’s a quick way to look instantly slim without toning up or surgery! In the spray room, you can can wear what you feel comfortable in (disposable g-string or your bra and knickers). The process takes about 10 minutes for spraying and 10 minutes for drying. You’ll leave with your body looking bronzed, toned and beautiful – like you’ve just came back from a tropical health spa!