Indoor plants are an easy an inexpensive way to add a pop of colour and some life to any room. If you don’t have a green thumb but want to bring some nature inside, here are our top tips for caring for your plants.
The benefits of indoor plants
- Reduce noise – plants are great at absorbing sound, so they can be a perfect catalyst for reducing background noises.
- Helps with stress – being in nature is a calming experience for most people, so it makes sense that having plants in your home will have the same affect.
- Improve air quality – plants help to remove certain toxins from the air and even assist in keeping air temperatures down while reducing he levels of dust in the air.
- Extra moisture – no this doesn’t mean there will be a mold build up, but it is possible that indoor plants can help decrease dry skin and sore throats.
Top tips for caring for indoor plants
- Make sure the soil is moist but not soaking wet. Overwatering your plants is one of the main reasons why they meet an early death because it damages the plants roots stunting their growth.
- Plant them in a pot that has good drainage. This will stop your plant from holding on to water or longer than it should and killing its roots.
- When purchasing your plant, ask about the type of sunlight the plant needs and find a spot that meets those needs – not all plants need continuous sunlight.
- Your plant will acclimatise to their surroundings so for a long life, try not to move your plants around too much.
TIP: If your plant starts to wilt or it looks like the soil is starting to pull away from the sides of your pot, your plant might be suffering from dehydration. Give your plant some water, plant food and make note to keep the soil moist by watering it once a week.